Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sayonara Party - Anmitsu Hime

JTW Half-Year Farewell Party

Not everyone in the JTW program planned on staying for the full 10 months. Last night we said farewell to some of the students who were leaving. The party was held at Grand China restaurant in the ACROS building, same location as our Welcome Party back at the beginning of the program. There's not a lot to tell...just a lot of good friends eating good food and having good conversations.

Obata-san also announced that she was going to be leaving JTW next month for an internship in Tokyo, after which she'd be going to America to teach at a school there. We're all very happy for her but we'll be sad to see her go.









After-party Bowling

After the party Coralie, Takafumi, Yoshito and I decided to ride to Don Quixote for some bowling. We played three games and, as usual, I progressively got worse as I went, each game scoring lower than the previous one. Bowling is always a lot of fun though, albeit a bit expensive for me these days.




あんみつ姫(Anmitsu Hime)

Twenty-five of us gathered in front of the post office in Tenjin and walked a short distance to the gay musical I mentioned in a previous blog. I was surprised to find out that the name of the show is not Gay Musical as everyone though, but Anmitsu Hime, which translates roughly to sugar princess, or syrup-covered bean jam princess...yeah, just call it Anmitsu Hime. I think the tutors were just trying to describe what it was to us. I suppose that was the best way to do it though. Haha!

Basically it was a full-scale production featuring a cast entirely of guys dressed in drag. There was music, dancing, sketch comedy, audience interaction, singing, and stand-up comedy. We got there an hour early and were able to talk to 4 or 5 members of the cast who came to each of the tables individually. They were happy to see so many foreigners at the show and made a point to mention us often! One of them asked me if I was a TV star because he...um, she...had sworn I was in a movie. I told him I was in a commercial filmed at Huis Ten Bosch but that I was never in any movies. I forgot to mention that I was on Mentai Wide twice, so maybe that's where (s)he'd seen me.

The show was so fun! Great music and performances! Despite only understanding roughly 40% of the dialogue there was enough visual stuff going on to make the experience really great. The fact that it was a fully drag cast wasn't really as strange as it may sound. The costumes and sets were so extravagant you almost forgot about the fact that they were men dressed as women.

We weren't allowed to take any photos during the show, but I did get a partial group photo with two of the cast members as well as a few from outside the theater.


* * * * * * * * * * *

Last Thursday I had dinner with Hiromi at a restaurant in Aeon. Since she's a Korean studies major I recommended we get some good bibimbap at 石焼. She was all for it~! We spoke in Japanese all through dinner since she doesn't speak English short of a few key expressions. It was a really nice meal and a great chance for us to get to know each other (and practice Japanese).

Afterward we went to my apartment and I showed her a couple of my musical compositions. Then we finally watched 「リリー・チュチュのすべて」 (All About Lily Chou-Chou...don't ask me why シュシュ is romanized as "Chou-Chou"), which I'd been recommending to her for months. She really enjoyed it and we're planning on getting together again soon :)

- - - -

Finally, I was able to Skype with my dad! He's the first family member I've spoken to since coming to Japan 4 1/2 months ago and it was really great to see him and hear his voice. I'm hoping to be able to Skype with my two little sisters next week when they go to his house for dinner.

That's all for now. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night so I'm going to try to get to bed earlier tonight. As always, leave comments if you feel like it. I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment